Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What of Songs That Recognize Depravity and Exalt God's Grace?

This verse, beautiful, familiar, yet increasingly rare in churches, is from the hymn "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing."

O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.

Churches' neglect of such hymns stems from the widespread unpopularity of such truths as depravity and vastly undeserved grace. Theological truth is often sacrificed for a catchy, new tune or for self-focused lyrics devoid of meaning. Even if a hymn or a more modern yet theologically sound song is sung in church, do people generally think on the significance of these words in any way?

2 comments:

Timothy Wonil Lee said...

I have to admit myself that I often forget to sing the songs I sing in the church with my mind engaged. Thank you for a good reminder both about how we ought to sing, and what to sing.

Daniel said...

My church does this beautiful hymn quite often. It's one of my favorites not just because of the tune but the content.

Great hymn!